JourneyWoman

This is a site that attempts to encourage the understanding of the unity of all being and its implications for humanity on their journey of return to the One. Reflections are often presented in the form of creative writing and poetry

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

To read is good, to practice is better

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Threshing Circle (excerpt from a novel in progress)


Threshing Circle

A threshing circle is about sixty feet in diameter. It is built of cobbled stones spiralling from the centre outwards. There are many of them in the Alpujarra mountain range. There is no longer any need to separate the grain from the chafe as wheat is not grown in this part of Spain any more. Threshing circles are now protected sites. Wild flowers and grasses push up between the cracks. The wind remains. A threshing circle is always placed in a position most open to the wind with valleys or ravines all round. They afford the best views and Yolanda had discovered one just outside her chosen village within a week of her arrival. Every morning at dawn she would leave her rented house and walk to the threshing circle. As she left the village she smiled in anticipation. The noises of an awakening community, endearing as they were, now receded behind her. She heard only the song of birds. Upon stepping on to her circular sanctuary she inhaled deeply and once again, as every morning, she expressed thanks for the wide open space, for the strong breeze, for the paradoxical sense of tranquillity and shelter in such an exposed spot.

A small grove of cypresses stood close to the circle, and a stone wall that was the only remains of an ancient dwelling. A dog rose grew across what would once have been a corner of the house but which now spilt its old stones down the steep incline of the mountain side. An old shoe and a broken water flask lay abandoned amongst the rubble and fallen foliage.

Copyright Y K Randall, Granada, 2007

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Norma Kassim said...

I like the image described, maybe you can also let me imagine breathing in the sweet smelling fresh morning air as well...?

June 29, 2007 2:42 AM  
Anonymous irving said...

A beautiful and very well written piece :) I can't wait to read more. Your style and unique viewpoint really draws me into the story :) I loved it :)

Ya Haqq!

June 30, 2007 3:05 PM  
Anonymous Elfmagic said...

I loved this chapter Yafi.
I have a sacred place and I call it the Pine Park. There are seven tall pine trees about 40ft on my land. Sitting in the middle feels very holy to me. It is a beautiful spot to meditate and my little cat Sampson always joins me.
In love and Light,
Elfmagic

August 02, 2007 2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved this piece of writing. I'm familiar with threshing circles in Malaga province of Andalucia and I'm trying to establish how old they are. Do you know? Please let me know.

February 08, 2009 4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Link
Google
Web Blog Pinging Service Google PageRank Checker - Page Rank Calculator Blog Flux Directory Blogroll Me! Religion Blogs - Blog Top Sites